INSTITUTION OF CULTURE
“HOUSE-MUSEUM OF ADAM MITSKEVICH”
123400, Grodno region, house 1, Lenin Street, Novogrudok
Tel.: (8-01597) 243-40
Fax: (8-01597) 232-67
The house-museum of Adam Mitskevich in the town of Novogrudok is not only a biographical museum exhibition - it is also an open air museum. This is a restored nobleman's mansion of the early 19th century: a house, an outhouse, a barn, a well, a pavilion. The museum is included in the list of historical and cultural heritage of the Republic of Belarus.
It was opened to visitors on September 11,1938. In June 1941 it was destroyed by a German bomb, rebuilt and re-opened in 1955. The estate acquired its modern appearance in 1990 after a regular reconstruction.
During the years of its work the museum was visited by more than 1.5 million people. The total number of exhibits on 1.01.2012 is 8069 items.
The five rooms of the main building contain the exposition about the life and creative way of Adam Mitskevich. The first three rooms: a children's room, an office of his father, a living room are close to the house of the Mitskevich family. Among the exhibits there are personal belongings (a watch, glasses), as well as furniture, tableware, musical instruments of the first half of the 19th century, books, Mitskevich’s manuscripts, a bronze model of the Mitskevich monument in Paris(1928), a granite slab with a bust of Mitskevich( 1900). The funds of the museum contain nine editions in his lifetime works, the translations of his works in different languages, 120 early printed books, manuscripts by Belarusian writers.
In the underground passage that connects the main house with a wing there is an expo gallery. Inside the lodge there is a literary and musical “Gostinaya”.
The museum is one of the most visited museums in Belarus. Among the visitors about 15% are foreign tourists.